Friday, December 23, 2005

Pasar Malam Kampung Lapan


Every Tuesday night, the taman in front of my condo turns into a pasar malam. From 4.00pm till around 11.00pm, the roads get clogged with people doing thier weekly grocery shopping, children pestering their parents to buy them the toy handphone on display and youngsters waiting for their Ramly Burger to be ready.

Last Tuesday, I decided to go down there to take some pics and try out the 'night mode' on my new camera. Of course I had to ask the permission of the pakciks and makciks manning the stalls to take pictures of their wares and of them in action. Some thought I was a photo journalist and even struck a pose. So sweet.

Its so interesting to see alll the local cuisine and fruits on display. There's putu piring (Kieran's fave), apam balik, lemon sugar cane and of course the ubiquitous durian (eeww!!). My favourite hawker food, fried turnip cake is also available, sandwiched between the murtabak and ayam golek stalls. I couldn't resist it and bought a packet each of the Fried Turnip and murtabak for supper and breakfast. Yummy!

There were throngs of people everywhere. People of different races, young and old, jostling about sampling the delicious food on offer and going about their grocery shopping. If you want to see true Malaysian muhibbah spirit, this is the proof that its alive and thriving.

As for me, I'm enjoyed stuffing my face with Fried Turnip cake and murtabak. Burp! Sigh... time to hit the gym.

No comments: