Monday, July 21, 2008

Roti Jala at 20,000 feet or This is not an Airasia PAID advert.

Airasia recently introduced several new items to their in-flight menu and one of them was the popular local dish Roti Jala.

Roti Jala or 'Net Bread' in Malay (net as in fish-net, not inter-net) is a lacey crepe that is usually eaten with curry or dhal.

This is what it looks like (or rather, the Airasia version). Four rolled up pieces of lacey crepe plus a small portion of curry gravy.... for RM7.00!

But wait! As I dug into the first piece of dough, I realised there's something else within the roll. It tasted like ground meat, although what kind I couldn't make out. My guess would be chicken since pork and beef would be a no-no for various religious reasons (that only Malaysians would understand hehehe).

And it tasted really good.... especially when it was dipped in the curry gravy.

I only have one beef with the dish. As I said, it was really delicious and the inserted mysterious ground meat was a nice surprise. But I realised something was missing. And if you look in the picture above of the wrapper closely you will also see that....

THERE WERE NO POTATOES IN THE GRAVY! HOW CAN ONE HAVE A PROPER ROTI JALA DISH WITHOUT POTATOES??????

1 comment:

Josh said...

I'd just got off an Airasia aircraft few hours ago. Never thought that the roti jala would be tasty. I tried the smoke chicken in focaccia. RM9.00 and yucks.