Monday, June 09, 2008

Redang 2008: Part 2

No trip to Redang would be complete without going for a dive (or two). This place never fails to surprise me with its bountiful fish, beautiful corals and out-of-this-world creatures.

My first dive was to a newly discovered Vietnamese boat wreck about a mile out east from the resort. The trip there was rather eventful as the waves and strong current took its toll on my queasy stomach. :p

The visibility this time around was quite bad, as we could only see only a few feet ahead of us, prompting some of the less experienced divers in our company to panic a little.

So down and down we descended into the blue nothingness, the bad viz not helping much... till we caught sight of an ominous dark shadow....

Imagine swimming in the semi-darkness, straining your eyes trying to make out the shape of something quite huge in front of you, and at the same time, turning round every few seconds to make sure you haven't lost sight of the others in the murky waters.... and then you see this, a huge spear-like anchor jutting out from the stern of the sunken ship pointing right at you.

I don't know why, but every time I see this picture, that dreaded Celine Dion song begins to echo in my mind and I know that it will go on and on....

Everywhere on this ship, all sorts of marine creatures, great and small can be found either attached to its surface or swimming around hunting for food.

Here's a blue-spotted stingray making its escape from pesky scuba divers disturbing its afternoon nap.

It took me about twenty shots to get a semi-decent picture of this tiny spider crab that was hanging on a whip coral for dear life as the currents swept everything (including us) around like rag dolls.

Anybody missing a brain?

I have to say that this dive was one of the most challenging ones I've had in Redang. The currents were really strong and the termoclimes made havoc of the visibilty not to mention causing a lot of us to get a shiver or two halfway through the dive.

Indeed, the lack of visibility only made this dive all the more mysterious and memorable. The only problem I had with it was that it completely jammed up my camera's ability to focus on anything but the biggest of creatures. ;)

No comments: